Saturday, February 25, 2012

Recipe Box: Angel Food Cake French Toast

So I had made an Angel Food Cake for making Strawberry Short Cake on Valentine's Day, but then I found myself with half of the cake left and itching to try something new. So I got on Pinterest and found this recipe on HeatOvenTo350, and it looked amazing! So we had it for breakfast and I LOVED IT! Here is what Nicole had to say:

I've had an angel food cake kicking around for a week, waiting for me to stop cleaning and use it. I bought it to make the recipe I'm sharing today - angel food cake french toast. I had made it a couple weeks ago and I'm still thinking about it now. It's delicious. Amazing, really. It's just what it sounds like - angel food cake dipped in an egg mixture and cooked in a pan until golden and delicious. The taste, though, is so different from regular french toast. It tastes almost like a custard, but still has the light and fluffy texture of angel food cake. It's wonderful, and hardly needs any syrup at all. A little whipped cream and some strawberries is perfect on top.

So, I took decided to take Saturday morning off. I took a break from cleaning and ate some of this french toast, relaxing for a little while and watching it snow peacefully outside.

I decided that I'll save just a couple things for my mom to do with me while she's here.

After all, it's pretty fun working with my mom.


Angel Food Cake French Toast

1 7-8 inch angel food cake
6 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups milk
3 T sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 T butter
Whipped cream or creme fraiche
Maple syrup
Cut-up strawberries

1. Slice the cake into 10 to 12 1-inch think wedges. In a shallow dish, whisk together eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla. Soak wedges in egg mixture for 1 minute per side. (Note: I tried this with a homemade angel food cake and it was much more delicate than the store-bought one. If you've got fragile slices, soak for half the time and make sure you have penty of non-stick spray or butter in the skillet before cooking.) In a nonstick skillet or griddle, melt butter over medium heat. Cook 4 wedges at a time for 1 to 2 minutes per side or until golden brown. To serve, top with whipped cream and drizzle with maple syrup, Garnish with strawberries.

Makes 5-6 servings

Try it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...