Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Christmas Traditions

This year I've been thinking a lot about Christmas Traditions. We have a few, but I'd like to come up with a few more. I've been asking around and here are some awesome ideas!

Caroling
This year I was caroled by a group of college guys in santa hats playing frosty the snowman on trombones! Seriously awesome. My family has never really done the caroling thing seeing as how we're not exactly musically talented, but I do love to be on the receiving end of it!


Checking out and voting on the best Christmas decorations in town.
My grandpa would always load up his car with all of the grandkids and we'd drive around town looking at all of the lights. We were instructed to say 'ooooohh' when we thought the house was pretty and 'awwwweee' when we thought it was amazing. It's one of my favorite memories, and now I'm noticing that my kids are in awe of the lights around town whenever we're out after dark!


Christmas PJ's
This isn't something my family did when I was young, but I started this with my growing family and I've really loved it! Although the jammies we get aren't always Christmas themed.


Going to a movie on Christmas day
My brother and dad would always go to a movie on Christmas day with my uncle and cousin. It's something they still mention to this day, so I know they loved it!


Acting out the birth of Christ
I've been cast in this play a few times, and I'll tell you it was very well received by my aunts and uncles! It's a good way to keep the true meaning o Christmas in focus.


Watching your favorite holiday movie.
Growing up my grandma always made sure we watched A Christmas Story. Ralphie and his BB Gun always make it feel like Christmas to me. I've added a second favorite holiday movie to my Christmas to-do list.
I really don't think there's anything sweeter than Garfied and Odie making nice on Christmas morning! Watching your favorite holiday movie.


Giving a gift to Christ
A tradition I'd like to start is to have everyone give a gift back to Christ on Christmas. There are lots of ways to do this, but I think an easy way is to have an envelope for everyone hanging on the tree. Then we they decide what to give they can write it down (or have mom and dad write it) and put it inside the envelope. Then on Christmas morning take some time to talk about the true meaning of Christmas and read everyone's gift. Typically your 'gift' is something like a new years resolution, but maybe with a little more service or charity in it.


Christmas/Christmas Eve Dinner
Some people make a dinner to rival Thanksgiving and some people order out. Tad's family used to go to a restaurant every year on Christmas Eve. My family would always make a nice dinner. No matter how you choose to do it I'm sure everyone will be feeling the love!


Christmas Eve Board Game
One tradition I remember is playing RISK on Christmas Eve. It takes forever of course, and we almost never finished a game, but I loved it. It's reminds me particularly of my dad.


Stockings
Of course, everyone has to put their stockings somewhere! While in my family we hang them from a broom that's propped up by chairs on either end (which is totally awesome), I've heard of some great ideas as well. Tad's family just lay them on the couch, some people put them under the tree, and some people put them in their kids rooms. Now I've got to admit the brilliance of putting the stocking in your child's room. It gives them something to do while mommy and daddy and Santa get some extra Zzz's in! Which is a great Christmas present in itself! Although I think I'd miss seeing thier faces when they dig into their stockings and finding what Santa left.

Well that's what I've come up with, if you've got some different ideas I'd love to hear them!

1 comment:

  1. Ah, yes, A Christmas Story and Christmas Vacation . . every year. We do Gingerbread houses. That is our only tradition from the Mumford side. I remember you acting out the Nativity, you kids were the cutest and Becky was always putting you in the right places . . . LOL.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...