Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Chocolate + Cake = Happy

So, like most women, I'm always on the hunt for amazing chocolate cake. I came across this recipe when it was posted on a Link Up Party on It's a Keeper from Suburbs Mama I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but it looks incredible!

Ultra Chocolate Cake


Cake:

  • 1 (18.25 ounce) package devil's food cake mix
  • 1 (5.9 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup warm water
  • 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

  • Directions

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. prepare a cake pan (oil and dust with flour)

  • In a large bowl, mix together the cake and pudding mixes, sour cream, oil, beaten eggs and water. Stir in the chocolate chips and pour batter into the pan.

  • Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool cake thoroughly in pan at least an hour and a half before inverting onto a plate


CHOCOLATE filling:

1 stick unsalted butter

2/3 cup Hersheys cocoa

3 cups powdered sugar

1/3 cup milk

1 tsp vanilla extract

Melt butter in microwave, stir in cocoa, alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating on med speed. Stir in vanilla extract. refrigerate until ready to use.

Chocolate whipped cream frosting:

8 oz heavy cream

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 cup of baking cocoa

2 Tb Sugar

Beat cream until peaks form, add vanilla, sugar and cocoa. Refrigerate until ready to frost the cake

Assemble the cake with the frosting and filling. I also sprinkle walnuts between each layer of cake. I also drizzle with some melted chocolate on top of the cake, but this is optional. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

I'm half afraid that when I make this Tad, who's much more of an ice cream guy, will make me eat the whole thing by myself. And I'm half afraid he'll want some of it too :)

3 comments:

  1. Well if you get stuck with the whole thing, I would not mind helping you eat some of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with ana, if you have extra bring it over. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm gonna hold you two to that!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...