Tuesday, March 15, 2011

6 Friends Every Mom Needs in Her Montourage

This post comes from the massive archives on Oprah's website. I loved this article because it is so true! When I started trying to figure out which of my friends would be my pick for each section I kept running into a problem. My sisters fit into so many different categories that I couldn't make up my mind. So sadly I had to exclude all three of them from the list, but I wanted to give them each some credit!
My Older Sister Danielle
As I've mentioned before, she is very, very wise. I call her for so many different reasons that I can't even begin to list them here.
My Younger Sister Roxanne
In the last few years I've come to know and love the other side of the girl I'd always seen as my bratty little sister. I've been very impressed with who I've discovered.
My Sister-In-Law JaNae
My brother married a crazy short, crazy awesome girl who I've fallen in love with too! We have a lot in common. We both love a lot of the same awesome books and shows (PS JaNae-I've recently started Army Wives and I'm loving it!), and I've noticed that often we see the world with the same eyes.
Ok, here ya go:


Forget about raising kids...it takes a village just to get Mom from Monday to Friday in one piece. That's why every mother needs a "momtourage." Because without our female friends, there would be a lot more mental health days in Mommyville.

What kind of mom friend are you? Take the quiz and find out!

Here's a list of key friends every mom needs:

The "In Case of Emergency" Friend
Solid, reliable, carries her cell phone at all times, the ICE friend can literally save your life. Whether it's a medical meltdown or a babysitter bailout, she is there for you and your kids. Put her down as an emergency contact, and you have nothing to worry about. All hail the ICE Friend.

Diana is my ICE Friend. We met last summer & I love our week
ly play dates. She has an adorable 2 year old boy, Alec who gets along perfectly with Wes. She is always there if I need her, and always willing to help me out in a bind.

The "LOL" Friend
Every mother needs one friend who is just a hoot, regaling you with the hilarious story of a bad boss or a school project disaster. Sometimes, motherhood is not that funny. But an LOL Friend makes you see that it can be—if you lighten up a little bit.

Andee is my LOL friend, and I defy anyone to hate her! We met last summer too when I moved into the apartment right below her. I have to tell you that living here has saved my sanity! Andee has a 2 year old boy, Ethan who's BFF with Wes, and an 8 month old daughter, Dylan who's a perfect play mate for Scarlett. While she's also one of the most caring and giving people I know she makes me laugh so hard I cry! A fruit snack stuck to the butt of her pants doesn't even phase her! Picture by OneMemoryAtATime

The "Ear to the Ground" Friend
No, I'm not talking about gossip here, because that's impolite. But there is always one mom, usually the mom of an active girl, who knows everything going on at school. From homework to weekend parties, the Ear to the Ground Friend is a go-to resource. For those of us who live at the edges of information (and by that, I mean the mothers of boys), any source for what is happening is always welcome.

Emry is my Ear to the Ground Friend. She is no where near a gossip, but she is on top of things! When Wes gets back from a play date at her house it's like he's coming home from nursery! He's fed, and happy, and sometimes even has crafts that he's made! She is yet another friend I met last year, and she's been keeping me in the know ever since.

The "Life Coach" Friend
Technically, she's not trained in anything psychological or medical, but the Life Coach Friend really knows how to motivate you. One 45-minute walk with Life Coach Friend, and you're updating your résumé, signing up for golf lessons and ridding your wardrobe of plaid. Life Coach Friend absorbs self-help material and preaches it back at you with astonishing success.

Rachel, who also happens to be my cousin, is my Life Coach friend. Ray and I are only 6 months apart and we have been thick as thieves since before we could crawl. She's an actual Army Wife, has 2 children, and is going to school full time. She's always telling me that you have no idea how much free time you have to get everything done in! My response is usually that I LIKE my free time! Regardless, every time I spend time with her I feel re-energized to tackle that project that's been on my To-Not-Do List, start an exercising class, dye my hair, or even write a book!

The "Frenemy"
Admit it, it's true. Even top athletes need a rival to keep them on their toes. So do mothers. Chances are, your Frenemy is always one step ahead of you: Her house is cleaner, her kids are smarter and her skin has more collagen. But that's okay, because your Frenemy forces you to focus on what's really important in your life and make it better. Maybe you've lost the skin elasticity battle, but you are winning the hair highlighting game.

While Jessica is my friend I would put in this category, she is in NO WAY a Frenemy! She IS however the person who inspires me to try harder. I've know Jess since she married her husband Trey, who happens to be my husband's best friend. She's one of the closest friends I've made in a long time, and I hate that we live so far apart. Jess is the Blogger of A Few of My Favorite Things who made me want to start a blog of my own. She's has her own photography business and she's amazing! I'm lucky enough to have her do pictures for me whenever she visits. She also is the manager for the apartment complex she lives in, along with having an almost 3 year old daughter, Allie who Wes has been asking after for the past week! I don't know how she does it all and looks as gorgeous as she does, but it keeps me striving to match her!

The "No Kids, No Thanks" Friend
Every mom needs time away from her life as a mother. Enter the No Kids, No Thanks Friend. She goes to movies! She knows the trendiest restaurants! She still wears pants with nonexpandable waistbands! One afternoon with No Kids Friend revives the spirit and reminds you that's there is life outside the laundry room.

Kate is my No Kids, No Thanks Friend. Kate & I go back to freshman year of high school. She has the unique ability of being the funniest person I know along with the smartest! I trust her taste in books no questions asked, and she's my favorite movie buddy. We've spent many nights choreographing dance routines to our favorite songs, or just chucking pen lids at each others heads. Whenever I need to leave the world of diapers & dishes she saves me. When she's ready I'll be thrilled to do the same for her!
Which friends in your momtourage keeps you sane?

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh you are so sweet Candice. I miss you & I wish we lived closer together too. But, just so you know, I am the one looking up to you on how to raise my kids - you are the smart mom that knows how to do things right! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...